Modelling Teacher-Parent Communication

My colleague, Ms. Monifa Williams, and I collaborated on the following script and storyboard intended to model Teacher-parent communication :

Script as Google doc

Script as Word doc 


  • Script : Parent-Teacher Communication

Scenario: The social skills or conduct of a student who has been misbehaving in class. It is unusual behaviour for this student. 

Teacher:    

Hello Mr. Morse,  how are you doing today?

Parent: 

Hi Ms. William. I’m pretty good, I guess, depending on why you are calling...

Teacher:

I would like to schedule a phone conference with you about little Bobby’s behavior in class this week.

Parent: 

I’ve been meaning to get in touch with you, too, but just haven’t gotten around to it. What’s Robert Jr. gotten himself into now? 

Teacher: 

First let me say that little Bobby is an amazing student. He is extremely helpful, and all the kids enjoy being around him.

Parent:

Mmmhmm, but…?

Teacher:

This week we had a student project that required the students to be in groups of 4. Bobby was not pleased with his group and decided to throw a tantrum. 

Parent: 

What do you mean ‘a tantrum’?

Teacher: 

Bobby screamed at the other students in his group and kicked a chair. He refused to cooperate . I gave him a moment to take a breather and calm down before addressing the situation.

I was taken back because he has not displayed this type of behavior before. I asked Bobby why he did not want to be grouped with these friends, and he replied, “just cause I don’t”. I explained to Bobby that I really want him to be with this group and that they may take turns being the leader on the project, however, this did not work. 

Mr. Morse, being that Bobby has never reacted this way, I wanted to know if there are some changes going on with him at home?

Parent: 

I’ll speak with Bobby. I’m glad to hear he usually behaves in class. Bobby’s Mom is usually the one to deal with school stuff, for the kids, but she hasn’t been able to lately because she’s sick and has been off work for a while now. Since you have me, maybe we should just talk now?

Teacher: 

I really hope Mrs Morse feels better soon, I am sure it has been a challenge to re-adjust your schedules until she gets better. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I think Bobby is likely  stressed knowing his mom is sick and that’s why he reacted the way he did in class today. I am positive that he’ll be fine, after you speak to him.

If there is anything i can do or if you may need some support, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Parent:

Thanks Ms. Williams. I’ll sit down with Bobby and make sure  he understands that his behaviour today was not acceptable.  The doctors are hopeful about my wife’s treatment but it will be a long road. She’s off work and we may have to make a move to cheaper living  arrangements, likely back into Bobby’s grandparents’ home. My medical plan is limited and I’m worried about getting Bobby additional support as it may be that things get worse before they get better. Are there any resources at the school that might be helpful for him?

Teacher:

There might be some things I can look into…..our guidance counselor is wonderful when it comes to working with students that are feeling emotionally stressed. She generally speaks with the student one on one and explores options to dealing with certain issues. We also have a school’s Social Worker that can get you in touch with resources for family assistance. I can give her your name and email address so that she may reach out. I can give her a brief description about the family matter and let her know that you are expecting her call or email. I certainly hope everything improves for the family. You take care of yourself and the family. Talk with you soon. 





Responsibilities:    Monifa Williams - Script Writer & Editor, Storyboard Editor

Tim Morse - Script Scribing, Storyboard Writer



and Storyboard that I created using StoryboardThat

Also:


Made with Storyboard That

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M2/GR & Essay Assignment (using GRASP)