Classroom Transitions - a Reflection

 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A-_GxLGjBNjMOmdxvdBQNQEd9e62I6K-IzlmHzrc8Zw/edit


I have concluded that “beginnings” are very important - collaboratively setting the ‘tone’ for your classes in a positive fashion is your foundation for  the future in that class. If you can create enthusiasm amongst your students for their classroom’s fundamental values  and norms as well as a  consensus on the rules/behavioural expectations to achieve the agreed values/norms, then teaching/learning can occur.


If you are able to teach and students are able to learn, then you have achieved your ultimate goal and received your highest reward.


I anticipate challenges but, I worry most about the ones I cannot anticipate. I think that is why it is important to have a methodical approach to solving problems and responding to challenges.


Most difficult for me will be to try to keep a “growth mindset.”  It is clear, however, the biggest challenge will be responding to mistakes, as they are inevitable. How will I react to my mis-steps? How quickly can I recover? How soon can I repair a broken relationship? Can I  respond positively and do so in time to avoid long-term negative consequences  for the class’ experience going forward?


Maintaining composure and not being too sensitive to being made a fool of are important.  If my ego is taking the helm, I think I will founder on the rocks of pride and hurt feelings.


I now have a  better understanding of the importance (and benefits) of differentiation of lessons. I accept that those differentiations should be prepared as a matter of course. A class of individuals will always include students requiring adaptations : the trick is getting access to info to establish what a student requires or gaining the trust of the students/parents so you can get that information directly from them.


If you can foster a community amongst your class that is built on respect, positivity and a helping approach, it will benefit the students and you. For those students who resist that approach, whether due to their own trauma or personality or current levels of personal stress, I will try not to lose them and not to take it personally.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M2/GR & Essay Assignment (using GRASP)